It seems like many want to jump the health and fitness band wagon, but are you jumping too soon? Don't start a program unless you are FULLY equipped, educated and aware of what you are doing. If you don't understand the mechanics, proper form, and how to split up your workouts then you need to ASK someone who does. You could be wasting many hours of your life doing the wrong type of workouts and you could put yourself in major danger and potentially injure yourself if you aren't careful! Here are 5 questions to ask yourself before you start working out. If you said YES to any of these, you must re-evaluate!
1) What will my workout split be? You cannot go to the gym and do the same thing everyday unless you want the same results (aka nothing). You MUST be planned and prepared. Know exactly what muscles you are working and give each muscle group at LEAST 48 hours to recover.
2) What will my daily meals look like? You joined a gym and want to hit it hard everyday. Great! However, if you don't change the nutritional aspect of your life you aren't going to get very far. I'm sorry, but the truth hurts! Make sure your nutrition is ON POINT and you will get results.
3) Are you medically cleared? Did you go to the doctor recently for a regular physical? If not, go! It is very simple to do. Make sure you are in good, healthy condition when you start a new workout program. You will only be benefiting yourself in the long wrong.
4) How old are my gym shoes? The first question I ALWAYS ask people is, how old are your shoes? Most have the same shoes from 3 years ago or LONGER. You need good shoes that support your feet, your frame and the type of exercise you will be doing. Make sure you get professional advice on this!
5) Do you have any muscular imbalances? Most us do, so make sure you know how to correct it and help the issue. Don't make it worse. Tip: Do NOT correct imbalances by lifting lighter on one side and heavier on the other!
Further questions on how to start a new fitness program or nutrition plan? Email me!
In good health,
Cristina Walterman, owner of CW Physique, let's you in on fitness and nutrition tips, recipes, exercises and much more. With over 8 years of experience in the industry, she loves to inspire and motivate individuals. She always practices what she preaches and leads by example.