It feels like Spring is years away by the trend of the arctic winter, however, it is right around the corner according to the calendar. This weather has everyone in a sluggish mood, but now is NOT the time to slack on your health- summer bodies are made in the winter!
I challenge you to try these tips and lose weight this month. These tips will help you gain more confidence, give you more energy, boost your mood and leave you feeling GREAT! Who wouldn't want that?
1) Eat Breakfast. If you weren't doing so before now is the time to start. ALWAYS start your day with a nutritious breakfast. My go-to is my protein pancake (recipe listed a few posts down) with a bowl of fresh cucumbers. If you want something other than my awesome pancake try a bowl of oatmeal topped with cinnamon and nutmeg with a side of egg whites (1 yolk for some fat). This is a nutrient packed breakfast that will give you energy and keep you feeling satisfied!
2) Get Moving. I know the winter keeps most inside but I challenge you to do the opposite. A nice brisk walk around the neighborhood can do the body good. You can do this alone or with a companion (dog, friend, husband, wife, etc). This is actually a very refreshing treat. Getting outside (even during the cold winter) is a great way to get fresh air, have human interaction with others, and get your body out of that sluggish track.
3) Eat every 3-4 hours. You must fuel your metabolism in order to burn fat. Starving yourself will NOT burn fat, in fact, your body will most likely hold onto everything and you might gain weight. Instead, reach for healthy and whole foods. Fruits and veggies are great ways to feel satisfied without the excess calories and processed sugars. Always try and pair your meal with a lean protein. Again, when these are paired together your body will feel more satisfied. And don't forget your fats. Fats are essential for your diet. You can get fat through nut butters, oils, yolk, etc. Make sure to not overindulge in the fats as they are calorie condensed.
4) Drink a lot of water. It amazes me that people don't drink water. If that is you, change that RIGHT now. Most of our body is made up of water, so it is critical to constantly replenish it. I always have a water bottle with me at all times. Water helps flush toxins out of the body, keeps you satisfied is good for your joints, and can help you when building muscle. When you feel hungry many times you are really thirsty, so reach for that water bottle instead of the candy.
5) No processed foods. I know I mentioned eating healthier above, but you must cut out all of the unhealthy food to make a difference in your body composition. Anything in a box, can, or that doesn't have an expiration date, can not be good for your body. If you buy something that has more than 6 ingredients, don't eat it. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it. If it has added sugar in it, don't eat it. Processed foods are the evil of all evils. It is fake food that we presume as real. Try and stay clear of this and you will be surprised as to how your body reacts. Caution, sometimes when people take processed foods out of their diets they go through "withdrawal" from all the processed ingredients and sugar and you might experience a headache. This is another sign that processed food is toxic.. so stay clear!
Try these tips for a kick start to spring and you be thanking yourself come summer.
In good health,
Cristina Walterman, owner of CW Physique, let's you in on fitness and nutrition tips, recipes, exercises and much more. With over 8 years of experience in the industry, she loves to inspire and motivate individuals. She always practices what she preaches and leads by example.