What a BEAUTIFUL day it is in Chicago. I hope wherever you are that you are enjoying your day... life is too short to not enjoy the little things!
I wanted to talk a little bit about the word, "diet" today. Diet seems to be such a harsh word that gets thrown around SO much and its unfortunate. It is a word that I try to stay away from because it implies "short term fix" which is NOT the case when it comes to being healthy. Being healthy is not a punishment and shouldn't be something that is feared. I've listed some tips below on how to lose weight the right way and feel great while doing it!
1) Nourish your body. There is a saying, "you can't get a million dollar body off a dollar menu" and it is oh so true! You have to fuel your body properly in order to get great results. Working out for hours a day won't mean a thing if you eat like crap during your off hours. You must be committed to this 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
2) Go walking. I am not a fan of running. It's not that I don't think its a great form of exercise, I just personally don't like it. I am mentioning this because a lot of people think they can only lose weight if they run. WRONG. Did you know that if you run for long periods of time that it is actually HARDER to lose weight? (I am going to save this for my next blog and let you in on what running ACTUALLY does to your body). So instead, go for a nice walk around your neighborhood with your friends or pet.
3) Reduce sugar! Oh yes, sweet things are oh sooo good, but are they worth it? Not really. You can fix that sweet tooth of yours with other things rather than a candy bar or fancy starbucks drink. However, watch your fruit intake as well. Fruit is a GREAT option for healthy foods, but WHEN you eat it is also important. Fruit is packed with fructose and is great if you are burning energy. Try eating it earlier in the day so that the energy can be used or before a workout. Reduce all other types of sugar.. sorry but they aren't essential for survival!
4) Increase vegetables! Some people, OK a lot of people, may think I am crazy for the amount of veggies I eat. I eat 6 small meals a day but I eat 1-2 cups of veggies with EVERY meal! I LOVE my veggies. They are packed with nutrients, they are whole foods, AND they are mostly made up of water which means, they fill you up without excess calories! Veggies are a great tool for losing weight. Not only are they good for you, but they keep you satisfied! Something a lot of "dieters" get scared of feeling deprived of... so eat up!
5) Be mentally healthy. This can actually be the hardest part when it comes to fitness and health goals. You have to mentally want to change. I can tell people all my tricks and tools but if you don't want to do it then it is not going to happen. Being mentally healthy and ready for a change is the best thing you can do to prepare for a new lifestyle. I promise you that being healthy makes life so much better. Not only do you feel better about yourself but you treat others better, you have more energy, you are more optimistic, you have a ton of contagious energy, and best of all, you get the MOST out of life.
So what are you waiting for? Are you ready to make a change in your life and become a healthier you? What do you find that is challenging about weight loss goals and dietary changes? Let me know your challenges and together we can figure out a solution!
In good health,
Cristina Walterman, owner of CW Physique, let's you in on fitness and nutrition tips, recipes, exercises and much more. With over 8 years of experience in the industry, she loves to inspire and motivate individuals. She always practices what she preaches and leads by example.