If you've been around the fitness world long enough then you've seen a WIDE variety of personal trainers who come in and out of the gyms. Some stay long, some stay not long enough, some you never see and some live at the gym. So you want to hire a personal trainer? Which one do you pick? HOW do you pick? WHAT do you look for? Trainers are NOT created equal. If you have your body's health and safety in mind, then choose a trainer wisely.
Here are 6 top things to look for when choosing a personal trainer:
1) Credentials. PLEASE make sure you choose a CERTIFIED personal trainer. Organizations such as NASM, ACSM, and ACE are well known and trusted in the industry. A degree in a related field such as Kinesiology, is even better.
2) Philosophy. All trainers have their own philosophy and beliefs that they choose to follow. It is important to understand YOUR trainer's beliefs and make sure it's a right fit for you. If you don't agree with them, then it may not be the best fit.
3) Friend's Trainer. Does your friend train with Bob? Then you should too! Not necessarily. Having a good trainer doesn't mean that trainer is meant for everyone. You want to make sure you match well with that trainer: personality, beliefs, accountability etc. Not one trainer is right for everyone. Make sure you find the right one for YOU.
4) Practice what they preach! Your trainer is telling you to hang from the ceiling with 1 hand while curling weight in another and eating egg whites. Well that's good and dandy but you want a trainer who has BEEN there and DONE that. In order to believe the process, they have to know it works... and they better make sure it works on themselves before they test YOU!
5) RESULTS. Sure a trainer can tell you they can get you to fitness model status in no time. But what is their track record? How many success stories do they have? Can you chat with previous clients to hear feedback? Yes, results come from the CLIENT and the work is put in by the CLIENT but without the right tools (insert trainer), you will not get to where you want to be. Make sure you are in the right hands of an experienced expert.
I hope these 5 tips of finding a personal trainer have helped you and that your journey to getting to the best you is on it's way. Having the help and guidance of an experienced expert can always benefit you. I always tell clients and potential clients, the best investment you'll ever make is the investment on yourself. Take of your body and it will take care of you.
In good health,
Cristina Walterman, owner of CW Physique, let's you in on fitness and nutrition tips, recipes, exercises and much more. With over 8 years of experience in the industry, she loves to inspire and motivate individuals. She always practices what she preaches and leads by example.