Do you find yourself eating out a lot at work? Do you have to entertain clients constantly? Or perhaps your social circle loves trying new restaurants? All of the above can make fitness and weight loss goals difficult. Have no fear, I'm going to let you in on my TOP secrets for staying healthy while eating out. There is no reason to become a hermit and hide from restaurants!
Top 5 Ways on Eating Healthy While Dining Out:
1) Avoid the alcohol. This is an EASY way to avoid unneeded calories (plus more drinking can lead to mindless eating). You can stick with water or get seltzer water with lemon if you want something "refreshing".
2) Skip the appetizers. When the waiter comes around asking if you'd like appetizers, say, "no, we are pretty hungry so we will go straight to the entree." If not everyone is on board, then pick something that isn't fried or cheesy.
3) Remember these three things: protein, veggie, complex carb. For example, you can order fish, broccoli and brown rice. Or perhaps you want grilled chicken, brussels sprouts and a sweet potato. Most places always have a lean protein option. The trick to ordering a HEALTHY version is to say NO butter (and in some places no oil too). You'd be surprised how many dishes are misleadingly unhealthy. Make sure you ask how it is made and then get modifications.
4) Opt for a clean salad. You knew this was coming, but it's always a safe bet, as long as you order it correctly! Be careful, many salads might seem "healthy" but they can be loaded with extra calories. Stick with a house salad but add some protein and fat. I love to get a house salad and adding grilled chicken and avocado. I dress it with balsamic vinegar. This is a staple of mine!
5) Eat something small beforehand. Sound crazy? Maybe I am, but trust me here. If you eat something small (and healthy) before you got out to dinner, you'll be less hungry and won't want to opt for bad items. Try just eating a small piece of chicken before you go out or perhaps an apple with almond butter just to hold you over. You'll make better choices in the long run.
Do you have health, nutrition, or fitness questions? Shoot as an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We LOVE hearing from you!
In good health,
Owner of CW Physique
Cristina Walterman, owner of CW Physique, let's you in on fitness and nutrition tips, recipes, exercises and much more. With over 8 years of experience in the industry, she loves to inspire and motivate individuals. She always practices what she preaches and leads by example.